As disciples at St. Bonaventure, we are committed to know Christ better and make Him better known. To k-n-o-w, we are committed to…
Keep connected to our parish communityIn carrying out this mission, we will demonstrate the love that we have for God, by the community we create with each other and our response to the needs of our neighbor.
Nurture the development of faith and knowledge of Christ
Offer to share the Holy Spirit’s gifts of time, talent and treasure
Worship through prayer, Mass and the Sacraments
St. Bonaventure Catholic CommunityIn the 1890s the Clayton Valley provided a social center when miners came from the Somersville and Nortonville Mining Communities. In the early 1950s the Rose Family, one of the early settlers, saw the need for a church to serve the approximately 130 Catholic families living in the Clayton area, whose parish was then Queen of All Saints in Concord. In 1953, a five acre parcel of land was donated by Minnie Rose to the San Francisco Archdiocese.
In 1957 ground was broken. Two additional acres were bought from Annie Carlos, one of the surviving children of Mrs. Rose, and she gave the parish another two. On June 26, 1957 His Excellency John J. Mitty, Archbishop of San Francisco appointed Father Matthew C. Carolan as the first pastor. He named the new parish "St. Bonaventure." The first service held was the Christmas 1958 Midnight Mass. In 1962, St. Bonaventure Church became part of the Oakland Diocese.
Today, St. Bonaventure Church has 2,700 registered families.
About The Person: St. Bonaventure
Who Was Saint Bonaventure?
Born in 1221 in central Italy, St. Bonaventure was given the name "John." As a very young child, St. Francis of Assisi prayed over him to be healed of a serious childhood disease. It was said that St. Francis could intuit peoples’ character; be prophesized about St. Bonaventure’s future greatness. It was St. Francis who coined the expression, O Buona Ventura, which means what "good fortune" he will have. The name stayed with him.
St. Bonaventure entered the Franciscan Order, and after finishing his studies he became close friends with St. Thomas Aquinas while in Paris. For his astute knowledge and vibrant faith, St. Bonaventure is known as a "Doctor of the Church." In addition to theological and philosophical works, St. Bonaventure has left us numerous spiritual treatieses, some of which have been translated into English including the Journey of the Soul to God, Tree of Life, and The Life of Saint Francis.
Although St. Bonaventure was a man of the highest intellectual attainments, he would emphasize that a fool’s love and knowledge of God may be greater than that of a humanly wise man. To reach God, he said, "little attention must be given to reason and great attention to grace, little to books and everything to the gift of God, which is the Holy Spirit." Above all he emphasized charity: "For in truth, a poor and unlearned old woman can love God better than a Doctor of Theology."
St. Bonaventure served as Minister General of the Friars Minor (the Franciscan Order). Bonaventure was nominated as archbishop of York in 1265 by Pope Clement IV, but asked humbly not to be elevated. In 1273, Pope Gregory X obliged him to assume a greater place of honor, that of Bishop-Cardinal of Albano, one of the seven suburb dioceses around Rome. Bonaventure enjoyed special veneration even during his lifetime because of renowned teaching and writing, his preaching of the Word of God, his stainless character, his spiritual power to reconcile opposites, and for the miracles attributed to him.
St. Bonaventure’s Feast Day is celebrated on July 15.
About the St. Bonaventure Logo
The church logo represents the Christ risen. Within the logo is the Holy Eucharist (head) and the Holy Spirit (body represented by the flame). Together they form Christ Risen.